Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Enjoy responsibly folks! Requests for me to blow off work and go to the Dogtown Parade were all turned down. I'm too damned busy opening a bar to drink!

Besides, I already had my share of St. Patty's day fun this past Saturday at the St. Patricks Day Parade Run where I got to hear hear some speeches from sitting Irish MPs. I also got a close-up look at Irish Secret Service: sunglasses, earpiece, green tie and about 40 lbs lighter and meaner looking than our guys.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The bodyguards you saw were almost certainly US Secret Service; they're pretty paranoid about the security of even minor visiting dignatories.
It's much more relaxed in Ireland - ministers usually just get a police driver (who's chosen as an act of political patronage).

The Irish Minister for European Affair was heldup a few days ago by raiders who thought he was the hotel manager.

http://news.smh.com.au/world/irish-govt-minister-held-at-gunpoint-20081216-6z9c.html

Mistaken identity really is the biggest threat to them.