Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I'm 30

Nathan: Man, I'm turning 29 soon.
Me: I turn 30 this August
Nathan: Whoa, you'll be 30! Man....well, you're going to be a dad so your life is already over dude!


I had hoped to do a triathalon for my birthday, but due to pool problems it became a duathalon and after tepid interest it was canceled. Not having planned anything as a backup, I decided to do a half marathon. I also figured that I could pull 13 miles out of my butt without risking injury or becoming totally useless to Laura and Freddy for a week.

The first four weeks of Freddy have not been exactly conducive to any kind of regular training schedule, so this was kind of a cipher. I woke up at 4:30am, drank a bunch of water, stretched, and stepped out the door at exactly 5:00am. I drank way too much water, tripped over a hole in the sidewalk in the first two blocks but after the first two miles life was a little easier.

I am unapologetic about my musical choices, the cheesier the better. New this year were tracks by Mr. Bizmark-E, Cee-Lo and The Dropkick Murphy's. I ended up getting the exact same time as last year: One hour, forty-nine minutes. I was kinda pissed about it, my mother's comment was, "I really like how you thought that you would be better a year later."

Next available half marathon in St. Louis I intend to crush.




No comments: